한무관 · 韓武館
Hanmu-kwan is one of the nine schools of martial arts that contributed
to the foundation of Taekwondo. Opened by
이교윤 (Li Kyo-yun) in 1956 CE, the school
is now a society, which officially supports the style of Taekwondo taught
by 국기원 國技院 (Gukgiwon, Kukkiwon).
Li Kyo-yun was formerly a student of Yeonmu-kwan (which was later
renamed to Jido-kwan), having trained under its founder
전상섭 (Jeon Sang-seop). He left to start his
own school after falling into conflict with another high-grade student.
Whilst Jido-kwan now only exists as a society, Li Kyo-yun remains
한 韓 (han) refers to Korea,
무 武 (mu) refers to martial
arts, and 관 館 (gwan, kwan)
refers to a training hall. Therefore, 한무관 韓武館
(hanmugwan) means 'Korean Martial Arts School', and is clearly shows the
interest in a strong national identity after the Japanese occupation.
The name 'Hanmu-kwan' follows the traditional naming scheme for martial
arts styles. This would therefore mean that the style of martial arts practised
at Hanmu-kwan is called 'Hanmu-kwan Taekwondo'.